Advertisement

You Ought To Know by Sissle And Blake on Edison 51572 (Take C)

You Ought To Know by Sissle And Blake on Edison 51572 (Take C) Sissle And Blake
New York, June 10, 1925.
10408 You Ought To Know
Ed 51572

My Edison Diamond Disc were played using a rewired stereo cartridge, thus avoiding a lot of rumble inherent in the old Edison players. It is interesting to note that the Edison Company recorded three takes of each selection, and unless there was a technical problem, would issue all three takes. Particularly with jazz, the vertical record allowed for longer selections, over four minutes. This allowed for more improvised solos, and the alternate takes allow us to see how the musicians improved upon them as they rerecorded.

Many of my Edison Diamond Disc records came from an accumulation found in an old farmhouse in Maine. The original owner had been a salesperson for Edison in the 1920's, selling phonographs and diamond disc records. When he sold a phonograph, he left a number of records with the buyer on approval; then would return periodically to either collect for the records the buyer wanted, or take them back, and leave more on approval. A red star on the record label indicated a record that could not be returned.

Since I'm in home quarantine, I need something to do, so I learned how to upload some of my
78's to YouTube. I've been collecting since 1968, and have been quite selective, only acquiring the
best items I could find, and leaving the rest for others. It seems that most of my items are on
YouTube already. I am trying to limit my uploads to things I can't find here already. I hope you
enjoy my selections at least half as much as I have over the years.

(Take

Post a Comment

0 Comments